On this page
Configure the integration with AvaTax - US only
What is AvaTax
Avalara AvaTax is a third party application that calculates your sales and use taxes for companies that trade into and across the U.S. Avalara AvaTax is continually kept up-to-date with all things tax so you can be confident that your company will be complying with sales and use tax rules.
AvaTax integrates in real-time with Financials to provide you fast, easy and accurate sales tax calculations.
You will need an active and configured Avalara AvaTax subscription to use this integration. If you don’t have a current subscription, you can sign up here.
Once integrated with Financials, you can ensure that the correct tax codes are applied products, check the sales tax on each invoice is correct as it produced and ensure that your shipping addresses are always accurate.
To integrate with Financials, you must
- Set up the link with from the Compliance tab.
- Synchronize Tax Treatments and Tax Codes.
- Synchronize Products.
You use AvaTax to calculate you sales tax. Once you have this up (see the steps below), when you create transactions, AvaTax uses the shipping address and company information to accurately calculate the sales tax on each invoice. You can then commit your invoices to AvaTax to track your sales tax for your end of year filing.
- You must have an active Avalara AvaTax account already set up and activated.
Have added Nexus jurisdictions and have set up items in AvaTax.
Make sure you select US Avalara Full Integration when setting up your org for the first time. This installs the required components to integrate Financials with AvaTax.To install the AvaTax template
- From System, click Templates.
- Open Templates under System.
- Select Override Matching Records to overwrite existing records with the new information. Otherwise, duplicate records are ignored.
- Find the US AvaTax Full integration template and click Install.
If you haven't already set up Sage Regulatory reporting, you'll need to do this first.Set up Sage Regulatory Reporting
From the Compliance tab, select and Configure Tax Provider.
- Click Open Regulatory Reporting.
Enter your Avalara Account number and License Key.
- Select Production.
- Click Connect.
- Select the relevant AvaTax company.
Choose the features that you want to use with Financials.
- Click Save and close the browser window. This takes you back to Financials.
Once the configuration process has completed in Financials, you 'll see a success message.
- Click Continue.
This imports the appropriate tax treatments and tax codes from AvaTax and tells Financials which rate to use.
- From Configuration, select the Tax Treatments tab.
Click Sync Exemption Codes.
Wait for the process to finish. This process may take some take to complete. You'll see a message once completed. You can also check the progress.
Repeat for the Tax Codes tab. Click Sync with AvaTax.
Wait for the process to finish. Once completed your tax codes are updated. Imported tax codes include AvaTax in their UID.
This imports all the items you have set up in AvaTax.
Sales Products and Purchase Products
Items created in AvaTax are imported into Financials with the correct tax codes.
To check an address from the account page you must add the Check Address action to the page.
AvaTax requires an Account Number (referred to as a customer code in AvaTax) to check the tax.
If this field is not completed on an account, the check tax process will generate an error.
If the Account Number field is missing, you must set access to it for the profiles of all users of Financials.
- From the Setup icon , click Setup.
- Select Users then Profiles.
- From the list of profiles, edit the profiles for all users of Financials. If you haven’t set up additional profiles, these will be:
Sage Business Cloud Financials Base Profile
- Select the profile you want to edit, then scroll down to the Field-Level Security section.
- View the Account security settings then click Edit.
- Select the Read Access and Edit Access check boxes for the Account Number.
- Click Save.
Send an email to our authors to leave your feedback.
Email our authors
Sorry, but we can't provide technical support from this email address. If you need assistance, then please contact our support team directly.